- The Beatles break up. By the end of the year, each
member had released a solo album.
- George C. Scott gives one of film's most memorable
performances in Patton. He won the Best Actor Oscar
for his turn as the title character, but refused the gold
- Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both die drug-related
deaths at age 27.
- FCC regulations require separate ownership of television
networks and studios.
- Monday Night Football debuts on ABC, with Howard Cosell,
Frank Gifford, and Don Meredith giving play-by-play.
- Midnight Cowboy wins the Best Picture Oscar, the
first and only time an X-rated movie received the honor.
- Biafra surrenders after 32-month fight for independence from
Nigeria (Jan. 12).
- Rhodesia severs last tie with British Crown and declares
itself a racially segregated republic (March 1).
- US troops invade Cambodia (May 1). Background: Vietnam War
- A Palestinian revolt erupts in Jordan. Forces loyal to King
Hussein suppress the revolt and expel the PLO from the country.
- Earthquake kills more than 50,000 in Peru (May 31).
- Egyptian President Nasser dies and is replaced by Anwar
- Tonga (June 4) and Fiji (Oct. 10) gain independence from
President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew
Life expectancy: 70.8 years
Violent Crime Rate: 39.8
Property Crime Rate: 36.2
Homicide Rate: 8.3