- A military junta led by Major General Idi Amin siezes power
in Uganda (Jan. 25)
- Mao Zedong invites the US ping-pong team to visit Beijing
- Nixon ends the US trade embargo against China. (Apr. 14).
- Erich Honecker assumes leadership of the East German
Communist Party after Walter Ulbricht's resignation.
- India and the USSR sign a 20-year friendship pact (Aug. 9).
- President Mobutu renames the Democratic Republic of Congo,
establishing Zaire (Oct. 27).
President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew
Life expectancy: 71.1 years
Violent Crime Rate: 41.6
Property Crime Rate: 37.7