- Time Inc. transmits HBO, the first pay cable network.
- Women dominate the 1971 Grammy Awards, taking all four top
categories. Carole King won Record, Album and Song of the Year,
while Carly Simon takes the Best New Artist award.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and the surgeon
general issue a report that claims exposure to violence on
television fosters aggression in children.
- Gloria Steinem's Ms magazine debuts.
- M*A*S*H premieres on CBS.
- Atari introduces the arcade version of Pong, the
first video game. The home version comes out in 1974.
Nixon orders "Christmas bombing" of North
Games in Munich are killed after eight members of an Arab
terrorist group invades Olympic Village; five guerrillas and
one policeman are also killed.
takes over direct rule of
Ireland in bid for peace.
makes unprecedented eight-day visit to Communist
and meets with
Life expectancy: 71.2 years
Violent Crime Rate: 39.6
Property Crime Rate: 35.6